Monday, September 17, 2012

Rejection

Rejection stinks!  I received an email from the 'Round the Mountain folks Friday afternoon, telling me that my material did not pass the jury session.  I was crushed.  We all know rejection is a part of life, but it's hard to create something and put yourself out there like that, only to be rejected.  The comments made by the jury had to do with using manufactured materials, so I'm assuming that means because I create pieces with beads I buy, instead of making them myself.  If that is indeed the case, I will never be a juried member because that's not how I do things.  

Travis made the comment to me that this just isn't my audience, which made me think about that a lot this weekend.  And, I think he's right.  I've always been proud of my Appalachian heritage and know that we're not the "hillbillies" the media tends to portray us to be.  But, my jewelry doesn't necessarily have the Appalachian "look" that you expect when you think of crafts from this area.  

So, after my little pity party on Friday, I decided to move on and let it go.  I went over this morning to pick up my little rejected pieces--I still love them!  :)

This is the latest piece I'm working on--a bracelet in fall colors made using peyote stitch.

It's nearly complete, and then it will be listed in my etsy shop.   

No comments:

Post a Comment