Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Updated

Just did a small shop update.  I renewed some spring/summer items and added the new jewelry I made during the snow storm.  


 Head on over to www.mustardbead.etsy.com to see everything!

Monday, March 2, 2015

New jewelry

We've now recovered from Snowmageddon (as I've dubbed the snow storm from the past two weeks), and I was able to get my car out for the first time today.  Pretty exciting.  It had been so long since I had driven I thought I might have to re-take driver's ed!

These are some of the pieces I worked on during the storm.


These will make an appearance in my Etsy shop in the next couple of days.  


Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Cabin Fever

I should have been more careful when I wished for snow. All I wanted was a snow day--or maybe two. And, I do admit saying I was jealous of the people up north who got about three feet of snow. I TAKE IT BACK!!!  Last week we got two big snows, resulting in about 20 inches of snow. Then came the frigid night where he temp got down to 16 below. After that it warmed up enough to rain, and the area had flooding issues--not to mention a lot of caved in buildings due to the weight of the wet snow. Enough, right?  Nope. Still getting more snow. Tomorrow will be our 8th straight snow day from work. That's completely unheard of for the college. 

I did snap a few pics.  This is the view directly in front of my house. There is a road that runs in front of the fence. 


And, this is the view from my bad deck. You can see the corner of my car on the left. Believe it or not, there is a road next to my car. 


On the bright side, I have made some jewelry, and will be updating my shop soon. 

Hope it's warm wherever you are!


Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Loom lessons

Last night I used my loom to create a bracelet in a chevron pattern.  I was really excited about the way it was turning out until I got ready to attach the cord ends.  Then, I realized I had made a mistake.  


To the untrained eye, it probably looks fine.  But, I made the bracelet wider than the cord ends.  I was so disappointed--I worked hard on that bracelet!  In the end, I wound up gluing the ends that extend beyond the cord ends, hoping it would at least keep the thread from unraveling.  


It's not absolutely horrible, but it's definitely not something I would sell.  I may go ahead and attach a lobster clasp, and wear it myself to see what happens.  

I thought I was so careful with my measurements, but...  Next time I will definitely measure again to be on the safe side!

Monday, February 2, 2015

New earrings

I mentioned a few posts ago that I'm really into the brown and gray combo right now.  The other day I planned to wear a gray tee, a brown jacket, and a brown and gray scarf to work, but didn't have a pair of earrings that went well with the outfit.  This is where jewelry making really comes in handy!  I whipped these up quickly, and I've worn them several times since.


I think I'll hang onto these, and make another pair for my Etsy shop.

Monday, January 26, 2015

Hair clip bracelet

Last week a friend of mine asked me to make a bracelet out of an old hair clip.  I immediately said yes, then fretted all week over exactly how I was going to do it.  Hair clips are a little wide to actually fit on your wrist properly.  Naturally, I didn't take a "before" picture, but this is a close-up of the hair clip after I finished the bracelet.



When I cut the clip part off the back, I saw that the decorative part was in 3 pieces that looked like they had been glued back together at some point.  That was good news, because I was able to take the 3 pieces apart and move the gold parts closer together, making it fit the wrist better.  

I originally thought about drilling holes in each side of the gold part, but then found a cuff bracelet I had bought years ago and never wore.  It had black beading around the top and bottom, but I was able to easily remove the black beads and replace them with gold seed beads and black and clear crystals.  Then, I simply glued the decorative part onto the cuff, using lots of E6000 glue.  

Here's the finished piece.



Hope she likes it!

Friday, January 23, 2015

Finished project

If you read my last blog post, you'll remember I started a bracelet on my way to Williamsburg a couple of weeks ago.  This is the finished product.



There were many ways I could have finished this bracelet, but I chose these snap closures that I attached with jump rings.  Easy, fast, and they work well.  

I have this afternoon off from work and it's a cold, dreary day.  Sounds like the perfect beading day to me!