Monday, January 14, 2013

Back home

Where did last week go?  I spent 3 days at a conference in Glen Allen, Va, which is close to Richmond, our capital.  The hotel was beautiful, the food delicious, and the company a lot of fun.  I learned something new, too.  While discussing jewelry with some of my lunch mates, one of them suggested I make lanyards.  I've made one or two before, but since I don't wear my college ID at work, I have to admit I don't always give them a lot of thought.  She mentioned that I need to be sure to put a magnetic clasp in the back.  This was news to me, as the ones I made were one piece, designed to slip over the wearer's head.  But, she pointed out that in certain workplaces (hospitals, prisons, etc.), employees have to use lanyards with a breakaway point for safety.  It made perfect sense when she told me--I had just never thought of it before.  

Last night when I was deciding what to wear today, I came across a necklace I made a  while back.  It was made from pink pearls, crystals, and a fabric rose I found at Michaels.  I only wore it a time or two, and decided I didn't like the look of the flower.  So, I remade the necklace, using a cameo I had bought years ago.  I love the way it turned out:

It's so sparkly and girly.  This remake will definitely see more wear than the original. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment